Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    Steve, Are you using a consumer pre-amp direct to the DCX2496 input?

    Could you give me schematic of a suitable output attenuator?

    Marshall.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    OK, got the manual. The preamp outs are indeed after the volume, balance and tone controls. Good!
    Just wondering how much gain and headroom the "flat amp" section of the preamp has. That's Q201, Q202 on the left channel.

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Steve, Are you using a consumer pre-amp direct to the DCX2496 input?

    Could you give me schematic of a suitable output attenuator?

    Marshall.
    I run digital to the dcx.
    For the attenuator...this might be wrong...just threw it together.
    Maybe the guys here could review it but it should look something like this:
    42

  4. #34
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    Yeah Steve, that will work and is pretty much what I've done in the past.

    Fortunately Marshall dos not need the attenuation, as he is going into integrated amps with volume control. So he need only connect to pin 2 (hot) and pin 1 (earth). A 50K resistor could go from pin 3 to ground as a "courtesy" to the op amp that drives that pin. Might reduce noise a tiny bit - or not.

    If Marshall can measure the gain of his Sony preamp, then we will be doing great!

  5. #35
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    Nice drawing Steve. Bal/unbal conversion and pad in it's simplest form.
    The old Altec letter;

    http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/publications/techletters/TL_133.pdf


    gives the values and formulas for level pads. Note the use of dBm for reference. a power-referenced unit (expessed in mW) that assumes ~matched impedances for maximum power transfer. (That was the good ol' days where such things were important). Now, with the gear you encounter having I/O Z all over the map, we just throw extra power at it and burn off the waste. For that, the voltage referance units of dBv and dBu prevail.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #36
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    Thanks, guys, for your help.

    I am now happy to purchase a CX3400 or a DCX2496. Now to decide which one.

    Regards, Marshall.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  7. #37
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    It basically simple (CX) vs flexible (DCX).

  8. #38
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    Agree. At a cost($s) of course. The DCX2496 is tempting.

    By the way, I came across this. It may be of interest to DCX2496 users.

    Expanded Soundstaging and 3D-Imaging
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  9. #39
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    One man's overview of his DCX2495.

    Balanced Three Way System
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  10. #40
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Thanks, guys, for your help.

    I am now happy to purchase a CX3400 or a DCX2496. Now to decide which one.

    Regards, Marshall.
    Great thread on active crossovers and the DCX2496, in particular. I was contemplating this same purchase so it's very timely.

    I have been using the CX-3400, using a Yamaha C2a preamp, Pass F5 or other amps for highs, and a JBL/UREI power amp on the lows, driving Altec 802g and 416b. I was not experiencing any noise through the crossover at any listening levels. I was using combinations of balanced/unbalanced terminations. This has been my first go at using an active crossover and I see no reason to change, the active system delivers.

    Besides the additional functions of the DCX2496, is there any difference in sound quality compared to the CX3400?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.